Please call us at Heritage Risk Advisors for help with what to expect. We know claims! (1.844.GET.HERITAGE or 1.844.438.4374)
Q. I've been in an auto accident – what now?
A. Start by reporting your claim to your insurance carrier. They need to know:
- When the accident occurred
- Where the accident occurred (be as specific as possible)
- How the accident happened
- What kind of vehicle or vehicles were involved (including the year, make, and model)
- A description of the damage on each vehicle
- The names and contact information of people involved in the accident
- The extent of any injuries to people involved in the accident
- The names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident
- The name of the law enforcement agency that responded and the police report number, if police were contacted
Q. I have damage to my property – what now?
Call your insurance carrier and let them know:
- When the incident occurred.
- A general description of what happened.
- The location of the damaged property and what was damaged.
- The condition of the home and if it is still livable.
- If temporary repairs are needed.
- If the fire or police department was contacted, which department responded and any report number. Your contact information and the best time to reach you.
Q. Do I need to protect my home from further damage?
A. Yes, once it is safe to do so, it is your responsibility to protect your property from further damage.
- Arrange for reasonable temporary repairs such as boarding up broken windows, covering the roof, and removing debris.
- Keep a list of any temporary repairs you make to document the damage, and make sure to save your receipts.
- If possible, place damaged items in a secure area where they can be inspected. If you are unsure about an item, include it with the damaged property.
- If you have fire or smoke damage, do not try to clean the damaged items. Sometimes cleaning things without the proper equipment can cause more damage.